Monday, June 20, 2005

just knittin' away...

Just sitting here, multitasking... doing some paperwork and phone calling for the old dj biz, and knitting all at the same time - I am multi talented! I just learned how to knit a couple of months ago, perfectly in time for the freakishly hot DC summer. I guess that cute black cap with the pink skulls-and-crossbones will have to wait for the stupid winter...

Any of you who haven't lived through one of these annual DC fry-a-lators can not fully appreciate what it is like - but let me try and assist with a visual: imagine, if you will, sitting in 100 degree weather under a wool tent that's soaking wet - in a bad way. Not that a wool tent can be wet in a good way, I suppose, but I digress...

So yeah. Knitting. So far I've made one gigantic, multicolored 'hippie' hat, as my darling man-friend calls it, 1/2 of a matching scarf, which is now on hold (it is June, after all), the aforementioned 'skull' cap (hahahaha I=funny), a really cool sparkly pot holder (who knew that you needed, like, 500 balls of yarn to make one scarf out of the sparkly stuff, but anyway...) and finally, my knitting swan song, the burnt orange opera scarf. It's made of a silk/alpaca mix, and is just lovely - not to mention STUPID complicated. But I like it. so far it's about 1 1/2' long - and I still have tons of material to work with. I'm gonna make a companion one too that's lavendar and fuzzy. Yay! Both will be nice for summer - light, and in cool complementary colors, since most... actually all of my wardrobe is black and green, practically... now I just need shoes to match....

I get all of my stuff at Stitch DC - they are nice over there (even if it is in Georgetown) and being on their mailing list gets you all kinds of cool hookups. I'm hoping to be cool enough someday to knit a tank top or something rad like that... we shall see...

No comments: