I heart the Bill Murray Star Wars song... Anyway...
I saw the new Star Wars movie today with Andy, our 9 year old nephew Rob and my sis-in-law (Rob's mom)Amy - it was super, super good, I must say. And my nephew brought his light sabers along with him to the movie - CUTE!!!!
Episode V (the Empire Strikes Back, for all of you who have been living in a box since...oh... 1974 or so) is my very very favorite, but this latest episode is a close second. And it's not just because it's dripping with eVIL, although that doesn't hurt one bit. I'm not gonna give anything away, I just feel compelled to list out my likes, dislikes, and questions (in no particular order) about this newest installment of the Star Wars sextet:
- UM, the birth of friggin Darth Vadar, y'all. SHA!
- The way they ended this movie with sets / costumes / flair that were a total nod back to the 70s style of episodes IV through VI. LOVE the bad Prince Valiant, mullet-like haircuts, the funky 'future' costumes and weird white 'streamlined' hallways in one of the last scenes of the film. What's old IS really new again, huh???
- the accent of the little british 'youngling' right before he's mowed down by mean old Anakin.
- That funky lizard critter that Obi-Wan rides around on, and the fact that, even when they are close up on him in the scene, Obi-Wan still wiggles back and forth, all thoughtfully continuity-conscious-like.
- the "wheel machine" that General Grievous rides around on when Obi-Wan is chasing him on the lizard thingy I just mentioned. (I know those aren't the TECHNICAL terms for either mode of transportation, you geeks out there - no need to correct me, k?)
- I want arms like General Grievous. 'Nuff said.
- The way Yoda just knocked 2 of those red guard guys down with his BRAIN, dudes. UM, YEAH!
- Thank you, Jar Jar, for shutting the fuck up this time around. Meesa can't stand you.
- The Vadar "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO". Duh.
- The fact that Anakin's *long* hair weave does NOT move. EVER. Lighten up on the Aqua Net, Mr. Lucas, K?
- Am I the only one who thinks Padme looks REALLY freaky with that long, curly hair??? Giant face much? YIKES.
- That said, the BAD dialogue during any and all love scenes from Episodes I, II and III. I know they had to build that part of the story and all, but SWEET JESUS...
- Kinda thought the Jedi deaths were a bit doofy, particularly that one girl on the trippy planet. LAME.
- The wookie planet second was a total rip off. I wanted to see those fuzzy dudes delivering unholy havoc on the invading troops, instead I got 2 seconds of running here and there. Again - LAME!
- Okay, so Yoda is, like, 5,000 years old, has proved himself a total badass time and again, but has one (granted, rather large) failure and 'has to go into exile' ?????? Sore loser, you are.
- So... on that note... are we all prepared to see Yoda turn back into a full-fledged puppet when we watch the movies in order?
- On that last point, especially the scene where Luke 'wears' yoda like a backpack while he trains...?
- I know they are Jedi and all, but shouldn't Anakin and Obi-Wan have shown an INKLING of hotfoot when they were battling each other 3 inches over the river o' lava???
- Aside from the burned up Annie on the banks of said river o' lava, was the violence really all that bad? I thought Luke getting stuffed into Han's critter in the aforementioned Episode V was WAY grosser than anything in this movie!
- Mace, baby... You're the baddest brother in the galaxy. WTF with your lame death....???