Friday, June 24, 2005

stuff, stuff, STUFF!!!

Okay, so quick parenthetical side note: I'm going to be an auntie again! Yay!

So far, I have:

- a nephew Rob (product of my sister-in-law Amy), who is 9, lives up in MD, and is a baseball prodigy (seriously, the kid could hit the ball over the house at age 2).
- a niece Gabrielle (product of my oldest sister Jen), who is 3, lives in France, and is such a cutie pie, it scares me. Especially with the baby French. Holy crap.
- a nephew Owen (product of my youngest sister Mandy), who is almost 2, lives in Florida, and, according to his mommy, is a curious little monkey.

Baby #4 is also from my sister Jen, and we found out today will be a boy.

Anyway, look at me, being all braggy!

So, last night, in spite of the fact that I could've fallen asleep standing up, I went to see Ted Leo and the Pharmacists at the 9:30 Club. I've grown to absolutely love his new album, Shake the Sheets, so I was pretty excited about the prospect of seeing him live. Andy has seen him about 4 times now, and said it shouldn't be missed.

Anyway, he totally lived up to his reputation as an amazing performer. Every note seemed like it had a spring attached - rhythms were driving, music bounded at you, pushed you over, and jumped up and down on you. It was that good. His stage presence was also incredible - from just standing there with that indie-kid-herky-jerky-guitar-guy playing style, to literally bounding around the stage in time to the music, this guy knew how to move. DEFINITELY offset the other 2 guys in his band - both awesome, incredible musicians, but with a stage presence on par with New Order (in other words, you may as well be looking at cardboard cutouts, with how little the guys moved around..) The bass player looked like he was stopping in between appearances on Fame and Welcome Back Kotter. Drummer had a really tight, minimalist style, but looked, for all intents and purposes, like my dad in 1978 (which is to say bald with long hair around the sides and a beard.)

Appearances aside, they were totally amazing, and a lot of fun. If I can cook up a setlist, I will post it as an addendum soon!

No comments: