Sunday, July 17, 2005

Right Round UP! - 7/16 - Setlist and commentary

dudes.

Last night was, in a word, amazing.

First, allow me to comment on the weather. Holy shit. There's my comment. Comedian Dennis Miller, jerk that he has become, once (when he was still liberal, and IMHO, therefore funny) commented on a storm being so bad, that it was a "torcano". Dude. This was some torcano, let me tell you. I got to the Black Cat around 8pm or so - it had rained on and off all afternoon, but I caught a dry patch, thank god, and managed to get in and set up with my hair in tact.

I started hearing "booming" sounds through the ceiling above me around 8:30, and in spite of the sound guy's assurances that the noise was coming from the air conditioning, it became increasingly apparent to me that this might actually be that natural phenomenon known as "thunder". I'm an idiot, forgive me. Anyway, I walked downstairs, to the big, glass front doors of the club, only to discover that somehow the Black Cat was going through a car wash. A seemingly impenetrable wall of water was beating against the doors, flooding the street, and generally looking utterly hopeless. I mean, if I were getting ready to go out and saw that crap, I'd be like, "uh UH - I'm staying home with a good hour of Matlock and going to bed, bitches..."

So I spent the better part of the next hour huddling over the BC office computer, looking at doppler forecasts and animated storm-path projections, and giving myself a manicure with my teeth. It was pure, grade A suckage. But the storms were blowing over in small bursts, apparently, so eventually the weather subsided - just in time.

The dance party itself was phenominal. It seemed like every person who kept saying that they were going to come out for months on end actually showed up with 5 people in tow. The final count was somewhere around 470 or so, and this was a crazy group of hopped up dancing fools, let me tell you! I hesitate to point out specific 'incidents' from the evening, as the person or persons involved might read this posting, but let's just say that crazy and alcohol do not mix. Actually, that combination in the right setting can make some people downright creepy. Like the lady who called me over to make a request, then latched onto my arm, said something that sounded like, "wussa funk shebadew simmuh haas" and tried to kiss me. YIKES. But that wasn't all this classy lady did. Oh no. She set her VERY FULL drink down on a sign that said "DO NOT SET DRINKS ON THE STAGE" So that she could hoist herself up and LAY DOWN on yet another sign that said, "PLEASE STAY OFF THE STAGE". Hooray! Her friends made her get down, but that didn't stop this rebel! Nosirree! She then stood right in front of me, yelling a bunch of other stuff, just about as comprehensible as the above comment. Every time someone I knew would come up to say hi, she'd push her way between us and try to talk to me again. I got really good at the "death grip hug / ignore the crazy freak" maneuveur as the evening wore on. Thankfully, crazy people get distracted easily, so she finally went away.

My folks showed up and stayed through to the bitter end. At first, they just sat on the sidelines, but my mom actually came to the front of the stage and got up with the get-down for several hours. It was GREAT!!!! My pallies were so sweet to her, and totally pulled her into their dancing circle as the unofficial Club Mom! CUTE. I later talked to Bartender Al, who told me that he kept pouring them crazy strong drinks, so that kinda explains that. :) I do get a chuckle trying to visualize them right now - being the people who normally get up around 2:30 - 3:00 in the morning. Paradigm shift, anyone! Anyhoo, they seemed to have a great time, so I was super thrilled about that.

So the 2:00 bell tolled, and it was time to wrap things up. Which I did. So the kids asked for 1 more song. Then another. Then another. Then they started chanting, "e, e, e, e, e" ...what could I do? I played another 2 for them. And remember, I'm dancing just as much as they are, so I was DYING by that time. I literally had to unplug my gear to give them the hint that I was stopping! It was such a blast.

Anyway, without further adieu, here's the setlist, to the best of my recollection. I know there were a couple of things that I changed around, but I likely won't remember them all 100% accurately. So sue me.

Oh, and I put *s next to anything peeps requested.

Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer
* The Clash - Guns of Brixton
The Smiths - How Soon Is Now?
XTC - Dear God
Siouxsie ATB - Dear Prudence
Alphaville - Big In Japan
Human League - Fascination (extended remix)
Talking Heads - Psycho Killer
Siouxsie ATB - This Town Ain't Big Enough For Both of Us
Erasure - Drama
Squeeze - Take Me, I'm Yours
Spandau Ballet - Chant No. 1
Stereo MCs - Step It Up (extended remix)
Boney M - Daddy Cool
Depeche Mode - People Are People (remix)
James - Say Something
Morrissey - You're the One for me, Fatty
The Killers - Mr. Brightside
Gang of 4 - At Home He's A Tourist
OMD - Enola Gay
New Order - Crystal
* The Kinks - You Really Got Me
Tears For Fears - Shout
* The Animals - Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
Erasure - A Little Respect
Right Said Fred - I'm Too Sexy
Blur - Girls & Boys
Sugarcubes - Birthday (dance remix)
Book of Love - Tubular Bells / Pretty Boys & Pretty Girls
* New Order - Temptation
Miss Kittin - Rippen Kitten
* Yaz - Don't Go
Erasure - Love to Hate You
Scissor Sisters - Comfortably Numb
When In Rome - The Promise (remix)
* Echo ATB - Bring on the Dancing Horses
Big Country - Big Country
The Romantics - Talking in Your Sleep
The Bravery - Public Service
Aha - The Sun Always Shines On TV
OMD - We Love You
* The Clash - London Calling
The Smiths - Panic
* New Order - Blue Monday
Dandy Warhols - Bohemian Like You
* Talking Heads - And She Was
Bananarama - Venus
The Killers - Somebody Told Me
Depeche Mode - Behind the Wheel / Route 66
Pulp - Disco 2000
Peter Murphy - Cuts You Up
Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
Siouxsie ATB - Peek A Boo
The Cure - Boys Don't Cry
Blondie - Call Me
* Hot, Hot Heat - Bandages
Dee Lite / New Order - Groove Is in the Heart / Bizarre Love Triangle mashup
* Modern English - Melt With You (remix)
Peter Schilling - Major Tom
Le Tigre - Deceptacon
* Rolling Stones - Paint It Black
The Primitives - Crash
Aha - Take On Me
* The Go Gos - We Got the Beat
* Devo - Whip It
* Nena - 99 Luft Balloons
* Billy Idol - Dancing with Myself
* The Jam - Town Called Malice
Violent Femmes - Prove My Love

Encores:
* Violent Femmes - Blister In the Sun
* Dexy's Midnight Runners - Come on Eileen
* Always Something There To Remind Me (too lazy to get up and see who did this)
* B52s - Rock Lobster

1 comment:

AhsanK said...

Great job! The music was fantastic & I had a total blast!