Saturday, October 22, 2005

My dumb old weekend.

Went to Mr. Phil's viewing last night. God that sucked so much. I have been brought to my knees with grief. My only comfort was that my 9:30 club "family" represented en force. I love those guys - it was devistating to see those big old fellas all crying.

Had to basically go right from there to Right Round - it wasn't a great night in terms of numbers, but I did get to play a couple of tributes to my pal and dance my ass off, which was lovely. Ended the night with Ball and Chain by Social Distortion. I also played Streams of Whiskey by the Pogues, which was wonderful. I do not have a set list, as I was caught up in the momentum and emotion of the evening. So don't ask, k?

Today was the funeral and wake. The funeral was in a catholic church, and as I am spiritual but not religious, I wasn't a huge fan. It was a lovely service, I just couldn't relate to some of the sentiment, etc. That's just my opinion - you religious types need not freak out. The wake was at the 9:30 club - GWAR was setting up while we all hung out in the upstairs balcony, which was funny, ironic and perfect. There was food and an open bar, a wall of photos and one of Mr. Phil's snowboards, which we all signed.

People gave tributes - Andy and I included - and they played a song called "I'm Going to Live Before I Die" at the very end. It was wonderful, and each gathering with this group made it all just that much easier.

That's all I know - for now, anyway.

No comments: