Monday, April 23, 2007

I wish I could engage in witty urban banter

I was walking into 7-11 on the corner of 14th and Rhode Island Avenue yesterday morning and overheard this utterly fascinating snippet of conversation:

Person 1:
"It ain't about the pills, it's all about the bills."

Person 2:
(laughing knowingly) "You got that right. If you ain't got a dime you ain't got my time."

Being the only 3 people on the street at that hour, there was no way that I could inconspicuously stand there with my mouth agog, trying to figure out what they were talking about - but I swear, ever since I haven't been able to shake the thought that I would have absolutely no ability to hang in a conversation like that.

I'm somewhat clever from time to time, but to have to rhyme - RELEVANTLY - for an entire conversation would be downright exhausting. Am I crazy here??? I imagine the same exchange with me as Person 2 would go a little something like this:

Person 1:
"It ain't about the pills, it's all about the bills."

Person 2 (played by me):
"God, TOTALLY... I mean, it's like, you can... take a horse... to the water... but you... um... maybe shouldn't oughta...?..."

Can you just hear the crickets chirping now???

No comments: