Saturday, April 21, 2007

the weekend of 4/20 - 4/22: runninng commentary

Let me preface this by saying that I'm aware the weekend is not yet over. Let me also say, good LORD I wish the weekend was over. I'm not sure what happened with April this year - there must've been some oddball lunar triangulation with Jupiter or something that prompted every friggin' person in the world to want me to spin their event this month. Seriously.

This weekend I had/have 4 gigs.

"4 gigs?" you may be thinking to yourself. "Why, with only three days in the weekend, that seems an absolute mathmatical improbability. What the h-e-double-hockey-sticks is that all about???"

What it's all about is my achilles heel, which is to say the volitile combination of my inability to sit still, and my overwhelming ability to overbook myself.

Yesterday I did a wedding AND Right Round. Both. The wedding was fun - great group, lots of dancing, all that good stuff. But I literally had to go right from one to the other (thanks again, Mellie Mel, for spinning the first hour and a half of Right Round and seriously saving my ass), as the wedding ended at 10pm, just as Right Round was starting. In case you were wondering if it's possible to completely change your clothes (pants, shirt, the whole 9 yards) and appropriately funkify your makeup while driving down Georgia Avenue at 10pm on a Friday night - it is! Okay, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it from a safety perspective, but please note that I was actually stopped at red lights for a majority of the process (and I SWEAR to god nobody noticed - I was like a stealthy clothes-changing ninja).

Right Round was really fun too - for a Friday it wasn't bad; got super super super packed for a while, then petered out a bit. I wasn't reinventing the wheel with any of the song choices, but I felt like it kept the floor hopping. Didn't keep a setlist - didn't feel like it.

Today and tomorrow I spin a corporate event for the real estate firm of my good pal Gary - he's always a stitch, so it should be fun. Then sleep. Glorious sleep.

Until next weekend, that is...

No comments: