Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Right Round - 8/11/07 - Setlist and Commentary

FUN - that's all I have to say. Well, okay, I lied; I have more to say than "fun"...sheesh...

I don't know what kinda bug has bitten me of late, but Right Round has been really awesome for the last 4 months or so. Great crowd, new old music, I dunno, it's the package. This month, my mom and sister came out and danced to the bitter end, which was totally awesome for me.

Truthfully, the only crap part of the night was the couple who berated me for playing "bullshit" 80s music. Apparently I'm "not old enough to know what good 80s music is". That made me laugh out loud. It was very funny when I told them how old I was. Very funny. I = old enough to know what good friggin 80s alternative music is - I was a goth teenager in the 80s. Okay, motherfuckers?

Anyway, on a more pleasant note - can I just say that my sis is a trooper? Flew in from France at 7pm, got there around 11:30, and friggin danced her butt off until 2. Moms too - they were so super cool. And thanks to the folks who pulled them into their dancing circles - that warmed my wee ticker in the nicest way. You all rule.

Alrighty, so here's the setlist - as always, with an "**" by the requests:

Morrissey - Last of the Famous International Playboys
Art of Noise - Beat Box (12" remix)
Waterboys - Whole of the Moon
Howard Jones - Things Can Only Get Better
Siouxsie - Happy House
Psychadelic Furs - Until She Comes
** Depeche Mode - Everything Counts
Sugarcubes - Hit
Murray Head - One Night In Bangkok
M - Pop Musik

By the way, this is when I found out that my night is bullshit from one person in the couple.

Simple Minds - Promise You A Miracle
Spandau Ballet - Promises, Promises
** Ministry - Halloween
B52s - Mesopotamia
TMBG - The Guitar

So, at this point I had played for about 40 minutes, there were a handfull of people in the room (and yes - gasp - some of them were dancing), and I was told by the other 1/2 of the couple that my night was "plodding along". I asked the person if he was with the woman who thought I was doing a terrible job. He was. I then mentioned that it's called "building a night". When they are a famous power DJ duo, they can build their own night ANY WAY THEY WANT. This is how I build MY night. I was then instructed that I needed to play something "that people can DANCE to". Erm - bye bye now, bye bye.

** Erasure - A Little Respect (they danced to this, ironically enough, and actually stayed through to pretty close to the end, dancing often, as far as I could see)
Kon Kan - Liberty
New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle
Dead or Alive - Brand New Lover
** Yaz - Situation
** Siouxsie - Cities in Dust
Human League - Don't You Want Me?
The Cult - Rain
** The Cure - Boys Don't Cry
** Billy Idol - Dancing With Myself
Violent Femmes - Gone Daddy Gone
INXS - Don't Change
** Erasure - Oh L'Amour
** Depeche Mode - Never Let Me Down Again
Men At Work - Land Down Under
Baltimora - Tarzan Boy
Siouxsie - Peek A Boo
Pet Shop Boys - Left to My Own Devices
Peter Schilling - The Different Story (remix)
Sinead O'Connor - The Emperor's New Clothes
** James - Laid
** The Kinks - You Really Got Me (played for my Moms)
** Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams
** Aha - The Sun Always Shines on TV
** The Go Gos - Our Lips Are Sealed
The Proclaimers - 500 Miles
Pixies - Here Comes Your Man
New Order - Blue Monday
** Bananarama - Venus
Duran Duran - Girls on Film
** Big Country - Big Country
** The Clash - Rock the Casbah
Oingo Boingo vs. Thomas Dolby - She Blinded Me with Weird Science (dj lil'e mashup)
** The Cure - Let's Go To Bed
** Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
Fixx - One Thing Leads to Another
** Morrissey - Suedehead
Styx vs. the Killers - Domo Arigato, Mr. Brightside (dj lil'e mashup)
** Siouxsie - Hong Kong Garden (with strings intro)
** Modern English - Melt With You
Devo - Girl U Want
Blondie - Dreaming
Peter Schilling - Major Tom
Aha - Take On Me
The Cure - Just Like Heaven
B52s - Own Private Idaho

Encores (yes, there were several - bitches)
**Depeche Mode - Just Can't Get Enough
Violent Femmes - Blister In the Sun
(I forget off the top of my head) - Always Something There to Remind Me
Ladytron - Deceptacon

2 comments:

John said...

Wow, I haven't had a compliment like that in years. Cherish it! When people no longer think you look young enough to have poor taste and little intelligence, it's all downhill from there . .. and so much responsibility.

monica said...

thought of you tonite, e.

local wacko radio program played a buncha mashups. i'm sure you've heard all these before, but my favorites were "smells like the beach boys" ("smells like teen spirit" vs "sloop john b") and "to the taxmobile!" (ventures vs beatles vs batman theme)

googling them led me to dj lenlow's site where i downloaded some more of his stuff, including "kanye mahna" (golddigger vs cake's cover of that muppets song mahnamahna). so wrong yet so hilarious.

miss you + andy.
_mon.