Thursday, October 18, 2007

I promise that not all posts moving forward will be depressing and/or maudlin...

Any of you readers out there who have been with me for a while will remember the death of my dear friend Mr. Phil and the subsequent emotional aftermath felt by it. Today is the 2-year anniversary of his passing, and I can't help but think sadly, and fondly, of him and all the other pals I've lost. Particularly in light of this most recent one.

Matt - way back in 1988 from a car accident, John - the following week from a bee sting, my dearest Mark - in 1996 of AIDS, Vito - in 2001 of an overdose, crazy old Frederique - in 2005 (can't say, too personal), our Mr. Phil - 2005 of a motorcycle accident, dear Peter - in 2006 of heart-related complications, and of course Trent - this year, by his own hand. Some I miss dearly, some I don't think of much, and some just make me angry. But they are all there, laid out in the forefront of my mind, and I just can't forget them.

Here's a little piece of the Mr. Phil post from way back in October '05 that I pulled out, dealing with what I learned from his death:

...keep in touch with the people you care about, and get the ones you don't out of your life. Live every day like it's your last. Take chances. Be funny as hell - always. Be kind. Be honest. Be there for peeps who need it - whether it's to defend them or to comfort them. Be clumsy sometimes. Don't be afraid to cry. Love your pals with wreckless abandon. Do the things that make you happy, rather than the things that make you comfortable. And finally, remember: out of sight does not, EVER mean out of mind. Especially when someone leaves this life. Those are the lessons that Mr. Phil left behind, and all are the reasons we loved him so.

yeah.

No comments: