Saturday, October 20, 2007

Right Round - 10/19/07 - Setlist and Commentary

Forgive me, I am going to rant for just a sec...

I am a nice person, who is generally cheerful and easy to get along with. There is only one area of my life that gets me ridiculously fired up, and that is drunk people harrassing me during Right Round. It's kind of funny - you know how a cat can be the sweetest cat of all time - sit in everyone's laps, purr a bunch, do that funny fetching thing with a ball of tinfoil - all that stuff, then yet you pet the cat while it's eating or licking itself or whatever personal stuff cats do, and it bites the shit out of you? I feel like that's how I sometimes get with Right Round. Dude, at your wedding I'm like, "Don't Stop Believing - SURE!" or "Beat It - ABSOLUTELY!" or even "I Will Survive - YOU BET". Seriously - it's YOUR event, you call the shots, I am merely your beat-matching conduit, you know?

Please note, for now and future. I will NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER willingly play music by the following bands/individuals at Right Round - BECAUSE IT IS AN 80S ALT POP DANCE NIGHT AND THE FOLLOWING BANDS ARE NOT ALTERNATIVE:


  • Michael Jackson
  • Prince (exception being in honor of Trent last month, but he was a friend who died, so that's totally different. When you become my friend and you die, I'll play Prince for you)
  • Madonna
  • Bon Jovi
  • Journey
  • any other obviously mainstream 80s band that I don't feel like playing. If I get a wild hair up my butt and decide to play one of the aforementioned for some reason, you can consider it my extra special present for you and you alone.
I will not bend on this, even if it's your birthday, or you came all the way from Texas, or it's the only song you can get it up to, or whatEVER. This is not because I don't like the above - I do, in fact, think that most are fine artists in their own right, who have produced some legitimately lovely songs for dancing by any and all. However, here's the thing - and YES, I'm talking to the 4 specific individuals who gave me a raft of shit ALL NIGHT LONG for not playing each act listed above. Right Round is MY dance night, and I set the parameters. It's not "Right Round - the 80s alt-pop dance party with DJ lil'e and that guy over there who really, really, REALLY wants to hear Michael Jackson". I will not play Michael Jackson at Right Round for anyone - not even my mom (and I'll pretty much play anything moms wants), so stop asking.

Now, that being said, if I feel like playing The Killers, or Dee Lite, or whatever the fuck I play that doesn't fit inside your definition of 80s alternative, I am afraid that I will likely be frustratingly unapologetic. Giving me shit about it is DEFINITELY not going to get me to play Michael Jackson, or any other request you may have. In fact, I had a couple of people tagged to be thrown out, if you must know, as they were giving me so much shit, generally speaking, that it was becoming difficult to concentrate. I appreciate that you are going out to have fun, that you paid money to me to be entertained, and that you think Michael Jackson is the tits. BELIEVE me, I've requested stuff to DJs that I was pissed they didn't play, but at the end of the day, that is the DJs prerogative, end of story.

This is not your wedding - just because you WANT to hear something, doesn't mean I'm going to play it - even if you ask, and ask, and ask, and ask, and friggin' ask. You want a jukebox? Hire me for your private party. I am actually rather delightful when I'm not pissed off at you, and have quite the repertoire of non-80s-alt-pop music that I'm quite sure you would just love. But, Right Round is my own special night that I've been doing for something like 7 years now, and if it's all the same, I shall play and not play whatever the fuck I want, thank you very much. I spend most of the rest of my life as a professional DJ happily playing what the people who hire me ask me to play - give me a fucking break on this one.

So, all of that angry-ness being said, here's my very own setlist, chosen exclusively by me. 300 other people seemed to really dig it, so the 4 of you who kept giving me shit all night can shove it:

Requests have ** by them:

Figures on a Beach - No Stars (original remix)
Berlin - No More Words
Gang of 4 - At Home He's a Tourist
** Wang Chung - Everybody Have Fun Tonight
** Depeche Mode - But Not Tonight
Camoflauge - Love is a Shield
New Order - Sub-culture
** Book of Love - Boy
** Spandau Ballet - Promises, Promises
Blondie - Heart of Glass
** Blancmange - Living on the Ceiling
** Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Relax (remix)
Automation - Obsession
** Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence
** Yaz - Situation
Talking Heads - Once in a Lifetime
James - Laid
** Erasure - A Little Respect
INXS - Need U Tonight
** Dee Lite - Groove is in the Heart
** New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle
Information Society - Tell Me What's On Your Mind
** Human League - Don't You Want Me?
Madness vs. The Rapture - Our House of Jealous Lovers (DJ Lil'e Mashup)
** Pet Shop Boys - Always on My Mind
** Siouxsie - Cities in Dust
Dead or Alive - Brand New Lover
Midnight Oil - Beds Are Burning
The Las - There She Goes
** Talking Heads - Psycho Killer
** Duran Duran - Girls on Film
Talk Talk - It's My Life
New Order - Temptation
** Nena - 99 Luft Balloons
** Aha - Take On Me
The Smiths - Ask
Violent Femmes - Gone Daddy Gone (hilarious side note: after I played this song, one of the shit-givers came up to me and said, "so - you're only playing 80s alternative - HA!" took me a second to figure it out, but I think the guy thinks the Gnarls Barkley version of this song is the only one. Sweetie, it's called a cover - look into it.)
They Might Be Giants - Birdhouse in Your Soul
** Erasure - Oh L'Amour
** Big Country - Big Country
** The Cars - Hello Again
** The Go Gos - Our Lips Are Sealed
** Duran Duran - Hungry Like the Wolf
** The Clash - Rock the Casbah
They Might Be Giants - Ana Ng
** Dead or Alive - You Spin Me
** Pet Shop Boys - Left to My Own Devices
** Soft Cell - Tainted Love
** Elvis Costello - Pump it Up
Styx vs. The Killers - Domo Arigato, Mr. Brightside (DJ lil'e Mashup) (another hilarious side note: I think that this song caused the biggest coup all night - 3 of the 4 shit-givers practically LINED UP to give me a hard time about this one. Still didn't make me want to play Michael Jackson...)
Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
The Go Gos - We Got the Beat
Naked Eyes - Always Something There to Remind Me
** DEVO - Whip It
Plastic Bertrand - Ca Plane Pour Moi
Peter Schilling - Major Tom
The Cure - Just Like Heaven
** The B52s - Love Shack (I Actually Got quite a bit of shit from EVERYONE ELSE for playing this song, funnily enough. Sorry dudes - just felt like playing it - I am quite aware that there are better B52s songs out there... ugh...)
Violent Femmes - Add it Up
The Jam - Town Called Malice
The Smiths - This Charming Man

Encore:
Depeche Mode - Strangelove

Please note - of the 50+ songs listed below, over 1/2 are requests - so it's not like I don't play stuff people ask me to play. Rant complete.

2 comments:

John said...

Two words.

"Big meanie."

katbitt said...

My husband and I love Right Round because we can dance to New Order (Temptation! Am I the only one who becomes a dancing fool when this comes on?) and he can dance to They Might Be Giants.

Thanks for the great music!