Thursday, January 31, 2008

Right Round - 1/19/08 - Setlist and Commentary

January's Right Round was a wee bit harrowing; I had walking pneumonia the Sunday through Friday before the dance party, which was scary from a health and recovery perspective, but also because it was the first time in almost 7 years that I thought I might actually have to cancel a gig. I was sore (cracked a couple of ribs coughing) and exhausted - but I've also never cancelled a gig. Never. Not when I dislocated my kneecap the day of Right Round, not when I had the flu before Ciao - but I have to say, pneumonia was a whole different ball of wax!!!

Anyway, with a bunch of cranberry & sodas and a little stool in the DJ booth, Right Round went well - I was absolutely exhausted throughout, but felt focused and excited about putting a great party together for my dancing fools!

Here's the setlist - it's a little different, and proved to me (for the 2nd time) that there's a time and a place for Shock the Monkey - but that time is not 10:00pm to 2:00am, and that place is NOT Right Round. That being said, here you go:

Split Enz - 6 Months in a Leaky Boat
Human League - Sound of the Crowd (remix)
Joy Division - She's Lost Control
Psychadelic Furs - Until She Comes
Waterboys - Whole of the Moon
Alphaville - Big In Japan
Echo And the Bunnymen - Bring on the Dancing Horses
Simple Minds - Promise You A Miracle
Automation - Obsession
B52s - Mesopotamia
Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Relax (remix)
Duran Duran - Wild Boys
New Order - True Faith
The Cult - Rain
ABC - The Look of Love
Talking Heads - Once In A Lifetime
The Clash - Train In Vain
Split Enz - I Got You
Eurythmics - Love Is A Stranger
Erasure - Chains of Love
Thomas Dolby vs. Oingo Boingo - She Blinded Me With Weird Science (DJ lil'e remix)
Talk Talk - It's My Life
Pet Shop Boys - Suburbia
Anything Box - Living In Oblivion
Depeche Mode - Behind the Wheel
Flesh For Lulu - I Go Crazy
Baltimora - Tarzan Boy
Erasure - A Little Respect
Men At Work - Who Can it Be Now
The Buggles - Who Can it Be Now
Big Country - In A Big Country
The Go Gos - Our Lips Are Sealed
Duran Duran - Hungry Like the Wolf
The Clash - London Calling
The Smiths - Panic
Siouxsie and the Banshees - The Passenger
They Might Be Giants - Ana Ng
New Order - Blue Monday
Pet Shop Boys - Always on my Mind
Dead or Alive - Something In My House
Real Life - Send Me An Angel
The Cure - Boys Don't Cry
Violent Femmes - Prove My Love
The Vapors - Turning Japanese
Blondie - Call Me
OMD - Enola Gay
Soft Cell - Tainted Love
Peter Gabriel - Shock the Monkey
The Smiths - Ask
A-ha - Take on Me
DEVO - Whip It
Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
Kim Wilde - Kids In America
Billy Idol - Dancing With Myself
General Public - Tenderness
The Cure - Close to Me
New Order - Temptation

Encores
Nena - 99 Luft Balloons
B52s - Private Idaho
They Might Be Giants - Birdhouse In Your Soul

No comments: