Friday, May 23, 2008

3 reasons I hate the song "walking on sunshine" - oh, and the right round setlist and commentary

I don't know what kind of cultural black hole is happening right now, but I swear to God, if I hear friggin "Walking on Sunshine" one more time - be it in a store, or my car, or in a movie, or any other place, I'm going to go postal on whatever radio is spewing that garbage out. I mean it.

Yes, I hate that song with a passion blinder than the eye power of Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder smooshed together. Why, you ask? I am ever-so-happy to jump up on my soap box and spew forth some hateful bile regarding this topic, thank you very much...

1) Forced happy makes me cringe (case in point - the song "Love Shack" by the B52s - I don't care how much Kate Pierson does those fake happy sounds in the background, the song is still annoying as hell). I am, in fact, cringing this very moment, thinking of it.

B) Everyone and their brother - in the advertising world and otherwise - feels the need to play that song in order to express some FALSE vision of collective joy toward humanity. I don't care if it's used for a friggin' montage, or to show that someone in a movie had a major financial or relationship breakthrough, or to sell telephone service; I want to claw my eyes out and run screaming in circles, praying for spontaneous combustion from that first "WEAGH" or whatever the hell sound it is Katrina vomits out within 5 seconds of the song starting.

and third) Name one other Katrina and the Waves song. Exactly.

ALSO - have you seen the terrible video??? The song is called WALKING ON SUNSHINE. Why then, pray tell, would they film the damn video on the most dismal day of the year in England, at the most depressing-assed abandoned factory in the entire universe. Trying to be ironic, Katrina? Only with that outfit and that hair. Srsly.

PHEW - that has been ON my mind since yesterday. Thank you for listening.

Now, without further cringing, steaming adieu, here's the setlist from last week's right round (speaking of being "hot as an oven" - holy crap, y'all, could it have been hotter in there???) OH, and there are "**" by all the requests:

Captain Sensible - Wot
The Creatures - Fury Eyes
The Cars - Let the Good Times Roll
Depeche Mode - Nothing
Thompson Twins - Hold Me Now
Talking Heads - Stay Up Late
Murray Head - One Night In Bangkok
Animotion - Obsession
TMBG - Istanbul, Not Constantinople
Kajagoogoo - Too Shy
Level 42 - Something About You
** Naked Eyes - Promises, Promises
When In Rome - The Promise
** David Bowie - Let's Dance
** Human League - Fascination
** The Cure - Let's Go To Bed
Yaz - Don't Go
Camoflauge - The Great Commandment
New Order - True Faith
** Kon Kan - I beg Your Pardon
** Erasure - Chains of Love
** Our House of Jealous Lovers (dj lil'e mashup)
PSB - Always on My Mind
Morrissey - Interesting Drug
Anything Box - Living In Oblivion
Talk Talk - It's My Life (remix)
** Eurythmics - Love is a Stranger
The Las - There She Goes
The Pixies - Here Comes Your Man
** Depeche Mode - Just Can't Get Enough
Bananarama - Venus
Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams
Cory Heart - Sunglasses at Night
Aha - The Sun Always Shines on TV (remix)
Dead or Alive - You Spin Me Right Round (extended remix)
Duran Duran - Hungry Like the Wolf
English Beat - Save it for Later
New Order - Sub Culture
Baltimora - Tarzan Boy
** Dexy's Midnight Runners vs. Franz Ferdinand - Come on, Take Me out Eileen (dj lil'e mashup)
** Dee Lite - Groove Is In the Heart
** New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle
Nena - 99 Red Balloons
** Erasure - A Little Respect
James - Laid
** Aha - Take On Me
Blondie - Dreaming
Violent Femmes - Gone Daddy Gone
** Styx vs. the Killers - Domo Arigato, Mr. Brightside (dj lil'e mashup)
Go Gos - We Got the Beat
Billy Idol - Rebel Yell
Modern English - Melt With You
** The Cure - Boys Don't Cry
** The Clash - London Calling
The Smiths - Panic
Soft Cell - Tainted Love
Men At Work - Overkill
Echo ATB - Lips Like Sugar
** Big Country - Big Country
New Order - Blue Monday

Encore - Le Tigre - Deceptacon

3 comments:

John said...

"Going Down to Liverpool"

I mean, while you're asking if anyone knows another Katrina and the Waves song.

They wrote it and did it before the Bangles.

Oh, I could name dozens of other songs, too. Don't challenge me on the chirpy gleeful gormless 80s power pop, girl.

dj lil'e said...

you SO do not count, mister. You with the eclectic person's eclectic record collection. Just give me this one... please???

:)

John said...

Anyone with four Katrina and the Waves albums in their collection is not "eclectic." That person is lame! But I have to use my lameness for something!