Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Support my first wee marathon effort, wouldya?

First of all, I love that the tagline for the Race for the Cure is "I am the cure". Considering my love for 80s alt pop, you can see why this is funny for me - who wouldn't want to be The Cure???

(Fake argument between Robert Smith and I):
RS: Erm, I am the Cure.
e: I'm sorry Robert, but I beg to differ. AND I have an "I am the cure" t-shirt to prove it, k?
RS: (whimpers, skulks away)

All joking aside, though, I recently accepted the challenge to support the fight against breast cancer by participating in Susan G. Komen National Race for the Cure on June 7, 2008 in Washington, DC. I will run my little feets off for a few miles that morning, and am hoping I can also get all my darling family, friends, peeps and the rest of you lot to throw some money into my fund-raising coffer.

Here is some info provided by the peeps at RftC:

1 in 8 women will develop breast cancer in her lifetime and the more money we raise, the more Susan G. Komen for the Cure® can give back to fund vital breast cancer education, screening and treatment programs in our own community.

$3 million of the funds raised through the 2007 Race remained in the Washington, DC, community – including metro-area counties in Virginia and Maryland – to fund outreach programs and initiatives that address the specific unmet breast health needs of the area. Washington, DC, has the highest breast cancer mortality rate in the United States.

It is easy to support this great cause. You can make a pledge online by simply clicking on the link to my personal pledge page at the bottom of this message. If you would prefer there is also a downloadable form to send in pledges through the mail. Another option is a general donation by choosing Donations on the website at www.nationalraceforthecure.org.

Best protection is early detection!
I AM THE CURE.™

See, Robert, I AM the cure. There's even a trademark to prove it! :)

No comments: