Monday, June 09, 2008

First Race - DONE!!

I just wanted to take a second to thank everyone who donated money to my team for Race for the Cure. I raised $630 - $130 past my goal, and the team raised $4,048 - $715 past our collective goal!!!!!

I ran the race on Saturday - in spite of the record heat wave, I managed to finish my 3.2 miles in 30:35, with 2 9.5 minute miles, a break after mile 2 for water, and a final 11 minute mile. Not too shabby at all for a first-timer! In addition to drawing motivation through the many pink "survior" shirts around me, I thought of those of you whose lives or whose friends' lives have been affected by this terrible disease, and that was my motivation for keeping a good pace, and finishing strong (although the heat kept me from my ultimate goal of sprinting the last 1/2 mile...)

Here's me finishing (I know it's hard to see, but I'm the one crossing the finish line with my arms up in triumph - top middle of the photo):



Here's the rest of "Team Spot" after the race (you can tell who the runners are by how dark our shirts are with sweat... ew...):


Anyway, thanks SO much to all who donated - I'll be back to run the race again next year, and will let you know all about it - maybe I can keep pace with the winner, who finished in 15 minutes - yikes!!!!

No comments: