This is a t-shirt design for my special edition "Right Round - Inauguration Week" dance party! It's happening on Saturday, 1/17 - the first day of the madness in our fair city, as far as I can tell. I'm actually pretty stoked cause I just found out that I'm going to be sitting on the parade route on 1/20 - woot! Thank you Canadaland! not sure what I did that was so nice to you, but I appreciate the invite!
Lots of stuff is coming up - I shall post about all of it in the next few days.
SOOOO, that said, I wanted to say a little farewell to stupid, crappy 2008. It wasn't as bad as 2007 by a long shot, but it was a close 2nd for me. I had to let some things go, make some painful decisions, say some very difficult goodbyes, and dump every last cent I earned into my crazy old broke-assed house, but without jinxing it all, I finally feel like I can close the door on several very difficult chapters of my life, and finally take some steps forward. On the upside, my work as a DJ is progressing beautifully, and I'm hoping I can finally put a studio together and get to work on all the remixes and stuff floating around in my noggin.
A toast to 2009, new opportunities, and putting one foot in front of the other! With that in mind, here's a New Year's quiz I got from the lovely Ms. Sweetney. Here goes:
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
- Participated in pure, mass, public bliss (the night of the presidential election)
- Turned the year of meat into the life of meat (yeah, it's true...)
- Experienced the joy of being married to a lovely fella for 10 years
- Ran a 5k and a 10k successfully
My resolution last year was "no more drama". I was, sadly, unable to fulfill that resolution. Therefore, it shall be my resolution again this year. I also would like to resolve to keep my ego out of things, and let lots of my own "stuff" go.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yep! Our darling friends Kristen and Jason welcomed Ike to the Southern family!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not this year, thankfully.
5. What countries did you visit?
Does West Virginia count? Other than that, none...
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
A better sense of myself, and definitely a more peaceful mind.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
- September 19 - my 10th wedding anniversary
- November 3rd - duh
Finally fixing the damn house
9. What was your biggest failure?
Hard to articulate...
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Pneumonia and a broken toe. Both sucked.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
It's a tie between the new roof for my house and Andy's anniversary present "Aeronautical Battle" by Hunter Stabler.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Tina Fey as Sara Palin
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I plead the 5th
14. Where did most of your money go?
The roof, the outside walls, the inside wall, painting all of the above, and replacing all of the appliances in our kitchen. 'Twas spensive.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
"Foundations" by Kate Nash
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
- a) happier or sadder? happier!
- b) thinner or fatter? fitter, actually.
- c) richer or poorer? I have no clue...
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
with the fam
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Absolutely - for about the millionth time.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Don't watch TV - but my favorite TV clips were the Saturday Night Live Palin parodies.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Absolutely not, contrary to what some may believe.
24. What was the best book you read?
"Annie Leibovitz At Work". As a student of and lover of photography, I absolutely enjoyed this book from start to finish!
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
It was actually more personal - that I could remix a song and it would actually sound pretty great.
26. What did you want and get?
I honestly didn't want a single thing. But I did get a lovely ring for my anniversary
27. What did you want and not get?
A new heater. Saving my 2009 pocket change for that.... brrrrrr!
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
That's a hard one...
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Had a very nice dinner with my fella. I turned 34.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I have absolutely no idea.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Whatever, whenever - as long as I have a cute pair of shoes to match...
32. What kept you sane?
Therapy, Andy, and running. Lots and lots of running.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Johnny Depp. zzzzzzz, I know....
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The election, and all of it's many twists and turns.
35. Who did you miss?
Mr. Phil. That one still just gets me every time.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
I don't know - I have a horrible memory for such things...
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Sometimes what's best hurts more than what works.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, and know when to run..." which is, of course, The Gambler by Kenny Rogers.